If you’ve been charged with a crime in Morristown, you are not alone. According to recent city data from CrimeGrade.org, “[a] crime occurs every 11 hours 50 minutes (on average) in Morristown.” Arrests in the city’s northern neighborhoods are particularly common, where CrimeGrade.org reports that residents have a 1-in-24 chance of becoming the victim of a crime.
Facing charges for any type of crime in Morristown can be dangerous. All crimes carry the potential for fines and jail time under New Jersey law. Many crimes carry other penalties as well, and having a criminal record can negatively impact all aspects of your life.
But, police and prosecutors handle different types of criminal cases differently, and, as a defendant, it is important to know what you can expect as your case moves forward. While cases involving severe violent crimes often receive particular attention, police and prosecutors often heavily target common crimes as well—with the goal of deterring similar crimes in the future.
The 3 Most Common Crimes in Morristown
According to the Morristown crime data on CrimeGrade.org, three types of crime are particularly common within the city’s limits. These crimes are:
- Vandalism – Vandalism has the highest crime rate at 6.712. This is more than double the rate of the next most common class of crimes (theft crimes). In New Jersey, vandalism is commonly prosecuted as a form of “criminal mischief,” which can range from a disorderly persons offense to a second-degree indictable offense depending on the circumstances involved.
- Theft – Theft is the second most common crime in Morristown with a crime rate of 3.158. This includes all forms of theft, from shoplifting to carjacking. Depending on the circumstances involved, theft charges can range from disorderly persons offenses to serious indictable crimes.
- Drug Crimes – Drug crimes are the third most common type of crime in Morristown, with a crime rate of 2.026. This includes all types of drug crimes, from simple marijuana possession to manufacturing and distribution of heroin, cocaine and other controlled substances. Prosecutors vigorously pursue all types of drug charges, and sentences can range from fines and community service to decades behind bars.
Other Common Crimes in Morristown
Along with vandalism, theft and drug crimes, CrimeGrade.org’s data indicate that certain other types of crimes are particularly common in Morristown as well. Rounding out the 10 most common crimes in Morristown are:
- Burglary (crime rate: 1.791)
- Identity theft (crime rate: 1.179)
- Robbery (crime rate: 0.787)
- Assault (crime rate: 0.592)
- Vehicle theft (crime rate: 0.301)
- Rape (crime rate: 0.151)
- Kidnapping (crime rate: 0.048)
If you are facing any of these charges (or any other criminal charges) in Morristown, you need experienced legal representation. While you may have a variety of defenses available, you will need a skilled attorney to fight for the outcome you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation about Your Morristown Criminal Case
To find out what defenses you can assert in your criminal case, schedule a free initial consultation at The Gorman Law Firm. We handle cases in Morristown, and we have an office in Essex County as well. To speak with attorney Scott Gorman in confidence as soon as possible, call 973-796-3800 or tell us about your case online today.
Published in Categories: Criminal Defense